Re: 0.6.01 picking up too many diffs; incorrectly detects 0 volume increment

> So I re-started the backup again while looking at it, and saw it
> definitely "A":dding files that have definitely not changes (bunch of
> kmail folders; no kmail running). I hit ctrl-c intending to confirm
> that I can still restore, and now collection status claims:
>
>          Incremental         Sat Jul  4 00:22:39 2009                37
>          Incremental         Sat Jul  4 02:07:14 2009                34
>          Incremental         Sat Jul  4 10:26:43 2009                 0
>
> In other words the cancel effectively meant that duplicity is now
> picking up a zero-volume increment rather than un-associated files.
>
> I haven't had time to investigate, not yet anyway.

This is because of spurious cached files in the archive directory. By
synchronizing the local archive directory for both missing and
spurious files, the problem goes away.

I have an almost complete solution committed:

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~scode/duplicity/archive-sync-removelocal/revision/553

The problem is that the "resolution" of base name into local + remote
seems to end up being wrong for me with sigtar files, so that the
os.unlink() (if not commented out) fails. It tacks on a ".gz" for the
sigtar file, but the sigtar is NOT compressed in my archive
directory. For the manifest files it correctly doesn't.

While I can of course trace the code and see why get_suffix() does it,
I'm not really sure of the overal picture here. Is it incorrect to to
use this form of name resolution in this case? Kenneth you probably
understand this a lot better.

In my particular case, simply not going through resolution at all and
just appending the base name to the archive dir happens to work, but
that'll surely break in other combinations of compression/encryption.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@xxxxxxxxxxxx>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@xxxxxxxxx