Re: 0.6.01 picking up too many diffs; incorrectly detects 0 volume increment

Peter Schuller wrote:
>>> is a correct transcribation of the previous version whichi called
>>> copy_raw() if the file was a manifest.
>> In the normal course of processing the difference between manifest and
>> sigtar are necessary in the local side.  The manifest is not compressed
>> and the sigtar is, so the way I had it was correct.
>>
>> On the remote side, it's either encrypted or gzipped.  I'll review your
>>  changes and see if there are any problems.
>
> Hopefully it's still correct but expressed another way; I'm just not
> sure about it.
>
> However I also realized sometime yesterday, though I didn't bother
> posting until LP's mail queue got flushed, that the "spurious" files
> likely are there sort of by design given the checkpoint/restart
> logic. So I'm not sure whether the fix to remove them makes sense. I
> probably won't have much time to look into it again until next weekend
> though.
>
> In any case, I do think that the recent improvements in archive
> handling in 6.x are going to be very nice, and I particularly value
> the ability to 'synchronize' the archive. In my case also in removal
> of files, to avoid old "cruft" accumulating. But of course I don't
> want to disable the checkpoint/restart feature either.

One reason I did not try to remove spurious files on the local side is
that there just might be a missing sigtar file on the remote even though
we don't detect it at the moment.  Also, the spurious files might just
be partial backup files and we would not want to delete those until
later.  I'd leave any pr.partial files you find.

So, you'll still need most of the code I had, but refactored to have the
resolve_basename() function split out.  On the remote side the correct
suffix is give by get_suffix(globals.encryption, not globals.encryption)
and mine was wrong, so you need to fix that.

I've got some time and would like to finish your work and get this
released soon so that we have a working version out there.