Re: Auto Coalescing Incremental Backups

(Sorry, Ken, I sent my reply directly to you but meant to send it to the
list.)

It sounds good.  I think we ought to vote on the word "coalesce," though.
("coalesce" versus "condense" versus...?)  Something about it just rubs me
the wrong way. :-)  But I acknowledge that's being pretty picky.

This could fall under the "cleanup" command.  Maybe make an "--aggressive"
option?  (This idea stolen from Git's garbage collection command, "git gc".)

Personally, I would prefer to choose when this happens, not have it done
automatically and continually.

As you said, we don't really know how often this comes up in practice.  It
would be kind of sad to put a lot of work into it only to find out it's an
edge case that's wayyyy out on the edge.

On the other hand, it seems like the easiest way to find out how useful it
would be is to just implement it and find out from users how well it works.

--
Larry Gilbert
Computer geekery since 1976