Re: [Question #116587]: Can the "verify" option be used to ensure the entire backup could restore without error?

> To confirm, (aside from your bug) "verify" tests the actual archive
> files, not just the remote manifests?

I love that you're asking, because this prompted me to test this - and
it seems it does NOT, which should be very clearly documented. I'll
file bugs.

When I've done verification I've actually restored my backups rather
than use verify.

> So, if my duplicity line is:
> duplicity --exclude=$DEST_DIR --include-globbing-filelist=$FILELIST --volsize=10 --sign-key=C512B7B0 --encrypt-key=F0C0AD14 --encrypt-key=D59A4E71 / file://$DEST_DIR --verbosity=8
>
> would my verify line simply be:
> duplicity verify --sign-key=C512B7B0 file://$DEST_DIR /
> ?

I don't use include/exclude but I would presume you'd have to match
your include/exclude patterns or else differences will be found as a
result of that.

> And if that does not give any errors, I can sleep easy knowing that
> every file could restore perfectly from the remote archive?

Apparently not....

> If that is what verify does, perhaps the man page could be clearer:
> "The following command compares the files we backed up, so see what has changed since then:"
> To me, that description sounds more like a --dry-run, or similar.

Agreed, though modified to account for the fact that contents is
seemingly not compared.

--
/ Peter Schuller