Re: [Question #193846]: These backup times seem very excessive

On 04.05.2012 11:20, Kai-Alexander Ude wrote:
> Question #193846 on Duplicity changed:
>
> Kai-Alexander Ude proposed the following answer:
> Sorry for the long delay.
> Had very much to do last two weeks. No time for checking backup process :-(
>
> But now there is another problem with duplicity.
> I installed duplicity to /root/_apps/duplicity-0.6.18/ (see http://duply.net/?title=Duply-documentation under TIP).
> After that I created a symlink to /usr/local/bin: ln -s /root/_apps/duplicity-0.6.18/bin/duplicity /usr/local/bin/duplicity
>
> If I run duplicity directly from the root-dir (/root/_apps/duplicity-0.6.18/bin/duplicity --version) the output is "duplicity 0.6.18". Absolutly correct. But if I run duplicity from /usr/local/bin (using symlink) the output is:
> "Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/local/bin/duplicity", line 40, in <module>
> from duplicity import log
> ImportError: No module named duplicity"
>
> With that problem I can't run duply correctly because I can't find a way
> to tell duply where to find duplicity (I my case under
> /root/_apps/duplicity-0.6.18/bin/duplicity ...)
>
> Please tell me what I do wrong or how to install duplicity and duply
> correctly (not via aptitude because there are only very old versions of
> duply and duplicity available in stable repository).
>
> Thank you very much for your help!

don't symlink. use a shell wrapping script which executes duplicity from
where it is installed. i use e.g.

#!/bin/bash
DUPLY=$(dirname "$0")/duply.sh
#DUPLY=~user/release/duply_1.5.2.3/duply
PATH=~user/_apps/duplicity-0.6.18.boxnet/bin:$PATH
"$DUPLY" "$@"

where i configure the location of duply. add the duplicity binary to the PATH and start duply with all given parameters. modify to your paths and save this to /usr/local/bin/duply and make it executable.
i should probably add it to TIP.

you could of course also add the location of the duplicity you want to
use to your PATH var globally. but having a script like the above allows
you to switch versions much more easily.