Re: Maybe a bug?

On 16.11.2013 05:03, Michael Terry wrote:
> So when investigating recent bugs, I found an interesting behavior.
>
> Interrupt duplicity, delete the file it was backing up, restart duplicity.  When restored, duplicity will happily restore the half-file it backed up.
>
> Is that bad?  Should we notice this issue when restarting a backup and insert a deletion notice in the backup?

definitely and yes :)
problems like this are what makes resuming so painfully difficult.

> I'm not broken up about the behavior, but I can see why it's wrong.  It's kind of a pain to fix.  Especially since fixing *really* properly would probably mean scanning for *any* of the files in the incomplete backup for deletion when restarting.  Which is harder than just checking the one file we were backing up.
>
> Thoughts?

don't see any reason to scan the whole backup. why would you do that?
aim should be to get rid of incompletely backed up source files if their state changed in between (modified, deleted) as resuming them can result i a corrupt backed up file.

..ede