ecryptfs-users team mailing list archive

Re: https://answers.launchpad.net/ecryptfs maintained?

Markus Doits wrote:
> On 26.02.2009 17:52, Tyler Hicks wrote:
>> If you don't want to use filename encryption and don't wish for the
>> mount helper to ask you each time you mount, pass
>> "-o ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n" to mount.
>
> allright, thanks, works!
>
>> Since you're asking about not wishing to be prompted by the mount helper
>> for filename encryption, it leads me to believe that you're performing
>> this mount quite often.  If this is the case, consider adding the
>> appropriate line to /etc/fstab and use 'mount -i /mount/point/path' to
>> skip the interactive mount helper.
>
> you're right, i've got a custom startup-script i call after logging in,
> which involves ecryptfs in the following way now:
>
> mount -t ecryptfs -o
> ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n,key=passphrase:passphrase_passwd_file=/path/to/file,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_passthrough,ecryptfs_key_bytes=32
> path1/ path2/
>

> adding an "-i" ("mount -i -t ecryptfs ...") does not work, dmesg says:
>
> [ 4539.244580] Error parsing options; rc = [-22]
> [ 4548.228006] ecryptfs_parse_options: eCryptfs: unrecognized option
> [ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto=n]
> [ 4548.228010] ecryptfs_parse_options: eCryptfs: unrecognized option
> [key=passphrase:passphrase_passwd_file=/path]
> [ 4548.228014] ecryptfs_parse_options: You must supply at least one
> valid auth tok signature as a mount parameter; see the eCryptfs README
>
> not sure why, but since it works withouth the "-i" now without
> user-interaction, this is ok.

Oh, you're doing this automatically at login.  Now I see why you're
trying to get rid of user interaction.  You're right, skipping the mount
helper won't work for you here.  ecryptfs_enable_filename_crypto and
key=passphrase:passphrase_passwd_file are actually eCryptfs mount helper
options and the error you're seeing with "-i" is the eCryptfs kernel
module complaining about the unrecognized options.

Glad to hear that you got it working!

Tyler