Re: Software Center

2012/2/21 Sergio Spinatelli <spinatelli.sergio@xxxxxxxxx>

> Cool! Is there already a LP page to check out? :)

Sergio, I beleive it's https://launchpad.net/lubuntu-software-centerproject,
https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-software-center-team/lubuntu-software-center/vala-portbranch.

Stephen, it's always great to hear about collaboration opportunities! I
have to admit I haven't tried Lubuntu Software Center yet, but I heard good
things about it. I'm not in a position to reply on behalf of the project,
but having a common core sounds awesome even if we'll have to build a
different UI atop of it. It's the lack of a good core that prevented us
from doing any SofwareCenter-related work.

Well, if i don't misunderstand, you are looking for a elementary-styled
> software center.

Well, it's not about styling really, it's more about behavioral consistency
and sane user experience design. Judging by the screenshots, your approach
to user experience plays rather well with ours, so I don't expect any big
UX design dissidence.
When it comes to UI code, for sure we will want to share many widgets
(AppMenu, filterbar, "no relevant items found" screen, etc) with other
elementary applications using our GTK widgets library called Granite. This
might conflict with sharing code between "flavors" of the Software Center,
but in my opinion those widgets work well in any DE and, since Granite
should be present in Ubuntu Precise universe repository, I can't see any
obstacles to adopting Granite in Lubuntu flavor too. But that, of course,
is entirely up to you.

I hear you ported the Center to PackageKit recently, that sounds great! I
wonder if you still use AptDaemon alongside it or Ubuntu finally managed to
bridge PackageKit interfaces to AptDaemon in a sane way. But that's my idle
curiosity, either way should be fine for us for the time being :)

Cheers,
elementary OS integrator