Re: USC Technical Requirements

There requirements are... where did you get them anyway? I bet this is
as bull as the recommendation to use GTK2 and Python2 for apps
targeting Ubuntu. Don't believe a word at developer.ubuntu.com

Anyway, what we should be concerned about is getting our apps into
Debian. It would both make our apps available in
Debian+Ubuntu+derivatives (over 80% of desktop market) and improve
quality and robustness of the packaging we use in PPAs.

Debian is important for several reasons. First of all, it holds 20% of
market share, in that it's second only to Ubuntu with 60%. BTW, no
other distro has surpassed even the 4% bar. Second, by working with
Debian we get our apps into Ubuntu for free, and I prefer that way of
getting our apps there over working with MOTU because Ubuntu is kinda
short on archive maintainers; they're actually trying to move all
packages present only in Ubuntu archive to Debian repos and quit
maintaining them separately.

The problem about Debian is that it still uses processes back from
mid-1990s. ITP (intent to package) is a strictly formatted email sent
to a special address... the guy who wrote the program without which
it's virtually impossible to generate the email evidently has never
heard about UX design... still, at the 8th attempt I got through it
and was told to expect a confirmation email in an hour, but the
confirmation never arrived. So we will need somebody familiar with all
that.

Either way, let's think of getting our apps into distros AFTER we
release Luna. I suggest organizing a sprint dedicated to that, me and
Pim Vullers have kicked off writing relevant docs already. We'll have
to rewrite them though, e.g. replace dependency lists with instructons
on extracting them from CMake because this thing is not going to be
maintainable otherwise.