Re: Notifications

Thanks for the reply, Victor. A couple on inline relies:

On Jul 2, 2012 10:08 PM, "Victor Eduardo" <victoreduardm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey, that looks good. In regard to your questions:
>

> > Does it sound like a good idea?
>
> It's working nicely in GNOME Shell, and personally I find actions in
notifications really useful. In my opinion they make a lot of sense in some
cases, like when you get notified of a message from a friend. A
go-to-conversation button would probably make a lot of sense there.

I didn't know that. This might make it easier since there's less we'd have
to do and other apps potentially already support it.

> > How would we go about implementing it?
> The API is already there. libnotify provides support for adding actions,
so it's easy to add support for action buttons to our apps. Currently,
these are only shown when using GNOME Shell AFAIK, since notify-osd has no
support for them.

Oh, sweet! I'm definitely interested in looking into it. I am not familiar
with the API, but I do think it's important that we restrict it as far as
only showing three actions or something. Is anyone familiar enough with the
API to chime in here?

> > What would it look like?
> It depends on how you implement it on the server side (notify-osd,
pantheon-notify, etc.). Mockup time!

Dan, go! ;) Or other designers since Dan has a lot on his plate.

I do like the idea of only showing the actions when expanding the
notification. It keeps it clean and out of the way unless the user
explicitly wants to interact with it.

> > What problems could it create?
> Apart from increasing the workload for pantheon-notify's dev(s), I don't
see any other problem.

> > What problems could it solve?
> Interesting question. Let's see what others say :)
>
> Regards,
> Victor
>
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 6:11 PM, Cassidy James <c@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hey Devs,
>>
>> I was catching up on some Android developer things from I/O last week
and came across something nifty regarding notifications. In Android 4.1,
Google has added a "big content view" to the notifications, actually pretty
similar to our idea with the expanded Pantheon Notification. However,
they've expanded on that: Actions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yc8YrVc47TI#t=1917s
(Link
should point to 31:57)

>> With actions, users can quickly and easily perform a relevant action
without even going to the app. For example, you could have a "Like" button
on a Facebook notification, "Reply" and "Archive" buttons on an email
notification, etc. Basically the developer can make it faster for users to
perform a few actions. Of course they're pretty strictly-controlled by the
platform so that developers don't get carried away; in Android, you can add
up to three actions.

>> I think it would be an interesting route to look into. With Pantheon
Notifications we already have an "expanded view" on hover, and it might be
nice to let developers add a few actions to the notifications. What I want
to know from all of you is:
>> Does it sound like a good idea?
>> How would we go about implementing it?
>> What would it look like?
>> What problems could it create?
>> What problems could it solve?
>> Of course this is just me throwing an idea out there; I'm not saying
it's an idea we have to run with or even that it's a good idea. I simply
have been enjoying this feature on my phone this past week and wanted to
see if we could brainstorm something similar for on the desktop.