Notifications

Hey Devs,

I was catching up on some Android developer things from I/O last week and
came across something nifty regarding notifications. In Android 4.1, Google
has added a "big content view" to the notifications, actually pretty
similar to our idea with the expanded Pantheon Notification. However,
they've expanded on that: Actions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Yc8YrVc47TI#t=1917s
(Link
should point to 31:57)

With actions, users can quickly and easily perform a relevant action
without even going to the app. For example, you could have a "Like" button
on a Facebook notification, "Reply" and "Archive" buttons on an email
notification, etc. Basically the developer can make it faster for users to
perform a few actions. Of course they're pretty strictly-controlled by the
platform so that developers don't get carried away; in Android, you can add
up to three actions.

I think it would be an interesting route to look into. With Pantheon
Notifications we already have an "expanded view" on hover, and it might be
nice to let developers add a few actions to the notifications. What I want
to know from all of you is:

   - Does it sound like a good idea?
   - How would we go about implementing it?
   - What would it look like?
   - What problems could it create?
   - What problems could it solve?

Of course this is just me throwing an idea out there; I'm not saying it's
an idea we have to run with or even that it's a good idea. I simply have
been enjoying this feature on my phone this past week and wanted to see if
we could brainstorm something similar for on the desktop.

Regards,
Cassidy James

Follow ups