Re: Vedo - Lightweight mplayer2 front-end for elementary OS

2012/7/22 Cody Garver <codygarver@xxxxxxxxx>

> I consider using mplayer2 cheating.
> I know Xubuntu are and I would bet Lubuntu might be looking for a player
> to use as default in their distributions.

Distributions cannot ship mplayer2 as well as any other project that relies
on ffmpeg/libav because of multiple legal issues with libavcodec. You can
look up Ubuntu technical board resolution 2007-01-02 for details on the
issue.
A stripped-down non-multiverse version of libavcodec exists Ubuntu repos;
I'm not sure if it was taken into account back in 2007, though. That
libavcodec variant originates from Debian, so more recent discussions from
other distros are not useful.

OS architect @ elementary