Re: Messaging Menu

Voldyman,

Geary 0.1 (the version in Luna, I believe) is pretty out of date - if you're running Geary these days I suggest that you run our daily build (https://launchpad.net/~yorba/+archive/daily-builds/) or build  it yourself from git master.  The version in git master supports notifications and the Ubuntu messaging menu (in Precise, not yet in Quantal) and can display a badge on the Unity launcher indicating how many new messages you have.  I *believe* this means it will also display a badge on Plank in elementary, but I haven't tried that.  Geary 0.2 will be released next month including all these features and other features which were absent in 0.1 (e.g. attachments, address autocompletion).

As for background email checking: Geary checks for email whenever it is running, even if minimized.  Currently it can't check for email when the Geary application is not running.

adam