Fwd: INK and model based design

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Craig <weberc2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Elementary-dev-community] INK and model based design
To: Daniel Foré <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Again, apologies for lack of information. It's a design process, I suppose.
It pertains primarily to developers.

It's implemented all over, and most developers are probably trying to
implement it subconsciously.

The foundational principal is that you create a conceptual model of the
system you are designing (something most developers try to do mentally)
using UML as a tool to record, visualize, and communicate said model,
rather than using the implementation (the code) to try to understand the
developer's  thought process. It emphasizes planning and design over coding
and accordingly separates the process of modeling/designing from that of
programming.

Many companies use UML tools to make/edit a system model and those tools
will generate code from the model abstraction in much the same way that a
compiler efficiently converts a high level language into assembly language.
However, that is rather cutting edge and I don't think any good OSS tools
exist to automate the code generation process yet, so I'm espousing the
manual approach from which these code-generation tools are derived.

Model centric programs boasts high reusability, efficiency, portability,
and simplicity (which translates into reduced maintenance, testability,
changeability and easier understandability) all for the minor cost of
prolonging the code producing phase in favor of a longer design phase.

On Sep 26, 2012 4:23 PM, "Daniel Foré" <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Craig,
>
> Can you give even the vaguest hint to what this is? Is it a toolkit, a
library, a language, a process?

> What part of the community is this relevant to? Translators, designers,
devs, project leads?

> Where is this implemented with success? Etc etc
>
> Best Regards,
> Daniel Foré
>
> El sep 26, 2012, a las 11:06 a.m., Craig <weberc2@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>
>> Daniel, like I said, I'm trying to put something together, but the
primary obstacle is time. Any familiarization you (read: everyone
participating in the development process) can do on your own will be
beneficial, in my opinion.

>> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Daniel Foré <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>>> I agree it'd be nice to get an overview of what exactly UML is. Don't
forget many of us are not software professionals but merely hobbyists ;)

UML into INK.

as to what elementary developers know about these design disciplines.
Furthermore, I haven't had time to find and link-to a good article
explaining these disciplines, and, while I'm working on a blog post of my
own explaining the issues, I think it would be beneficial to start some
conversation on the subject in the meanwhile.

looking into model-based design and UML a bit lately, but I don't know much
about it. It might help me and the developers who aren't as familiar with
it if you could give a quick description and/or some links for note info.

the world of software. Why aren't these being employed at elementary?
Discuss.