Custom GTK+ scrollbars

Hey everyone, I am new here and I would like to bring this to everyones
attention. Being a minimalist and a perfectionist on top I can't help but
notice how ugly the scrollbars look as opposed to the rest of the elements
of the window.
Setting the width of the scrollbar aside the main culprit is in my opinion
the fixed white background, here <http://i.imgur.com/X7qmA.png> is a mockup
of what an ideal scrollbar could look like.
Now someone on #elementary mentioned that if possible at all this would
require GTK+ itself to be patched so I thought I'd put this here to get
some feedback by developers. If this can be done and everyone agrees I'd be
more than happy to work on it myself.

P.S: I am a windows developer and have never worked in an open source
project like this so forgive me if this is in the wrong place.

Follow ups