Re: We are drowning in bugs. Web Team, halp!!1

I agree on this point.

We need a tool to provide insight and structure, but instead of reinventing the wheel; perhaps a solution (this is aimed more towards the layman/non-developer to air their complaints in a for the developers well structured manner): https://getsatisfaction.com/corp/whygetsatisfactionforum/index

A free version is available, and has a lot of really valuable and clever features for bringing insight and structure (have a look around on their website, or check out one of the deployments; some big projects like Firefox use it). I think it could fit elementary's nature of listing to the user quite well, and would provide a solution on a short term, bring the heat of Launchpad. Developers could then take important complaints and ideas that are on satisfaction and place them in a more structured way on Launchpad with technical details. This would also create a separation of technical discussion and user complaints.

Also, Launchpad does search through existing bugs, but I got the idea that the matching is really lousy. When I search for a bug that exists using the bug submit process it rarely finds it.