Re: We are drowning in bugs. Web Team, halp!!1

Den 17/11/2012 16.54 skrev "Cody Garver" <cody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> @gnomeuser: You are right, the bugs are slowing down and we have found
most of the dupes after a lot of time spent. If you are up to it, just
browse through the default bug tracker they land at intervals and see
what's in the wrong place and move it or comment that it should be moved or
find its duplicate. The rest of the projects with bug trackers are listed
here.

No worries I will be on it first thing Monday morning when I get back from
my in-law's house since I only have edge connection via my phone here.

> The Testing page could be dynamic and only show up immediately post
releases since it could be seen as not always necessary.

> Copy pasted from IRC:
>
> I would say 60%+ of the bugs that were reported since the beta started
are duplicates, it takes valuable developer time to sort them

> We need a mockup for a section of the website called "Testers" or
"Testing" and it needs links to each project's bug tracker. And probably a
nice note about "Before you report a bug, be sure to check its respective
bug tracker to reduce the amount of duplicate bugs reported."

> I don't know how it could be pretty though
>
> then on social media and blog we could say "be sure to visit the
Testers/Testing section before reporting a bug"

> I think that's the most we can do
>
> I would like for the page to have a big searchbox to search bugs cross
projects before reporting but I don't think that's possible

> Top Bugs would be cool too for each project but again, probably not
possible

> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 10:56 AM, gnomeuser@xxxxxxxxx <gnomeuser@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> Den 17/11/2012 00.53 skrev "Cody Garver" <cody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>

>> > One of the new issues we have experienced since the start of the beta
is, in addition to a large number of legitimate bug reports, we are getting
a large number of duplicate bug reports.

>> > A possible solution to alleviate the flood is to slap up a Testers
section on the website. I think it makes sense since we already target a
specific audience, Developers, so why not target the larger mass as well?

>> > We need to make it easy and obvious for users to search for their
issues before they report them, and then direct users to start in the
Testers/Testing section before filing bugs.

>> I have close to a decades worth of bug triaging experience having done
such work for Fedora, GNOME and most recently Banshee. I'd be happy to
dedicate some time to getting the duplicates under control.

>> In my experience this kind of bug count bump is typical post release and
will settle down rather quickly. It should be manageable with just a
temporarily increased number of hands on deck.