Re: Moving Away From Ubuntu

People can add PPAs to Debian, but unfortunately Launchpad doesn't support
Debian releases as a target[1]. That said, using the Precise target on
Stable etc. should work.

There are other options though, if Elementary considered Fedora as a base
distro (which has an awesome up-to-date GNOME stack), then you could make
use of the Koji build system[2] for building packages. It's not quite as
nice as a PPA (you still need to host the built packages in a repository
somewhere) but the majority of the work is done.

My opinion is that from now on, each Ubuntu release will get more and more
incompatible with GNOME upstream (Mir being the #1 issue, but also not
using SystemD is going to start causing issues) and as Elementary is
heavily reliant on technologies such as Gtk+ and Mutter it would be wise to
start considering options. Perhaps even just getting a Fedora/Debian based
spin of Elementary going so that a transition later wouldn't be so much
work.

If Luna + 1 continues to base on Ubuntu, then I'm hoping that Gtk+ is at
least compiled with Wayland support (as it is now) because then you could
update Pantheon for Wayland and everything should work smoothly. If not,
and everything is forced to run through XMir, then you are not going to
benefit from the frame syncing magic that's inherent in Wayland and Mir,
and you'll end up with loads of weird edge case bugs[3] and potentially
issues with multi monitor support[4], and of course a lack of support from
upstream Gtk+.

Just my 2p

Luke.

[1] This has always seemed wrong to me as it prevents developers targeting
upstream
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Koji
[3] The KWin developer has already spotted this in action
[4] I think this is being worked on...