Re: Moving Away From Ubuntu

Em Ter, 2013-07-09 às 18:42 +0200, Christian Dywan escreveu:
> A GNOME user will say exactly the same about Elementary. Ditching the
> shell, forking the window manager, discarding all apps, adding Contractor…

I am a GNOME user, and I can assure you that it's not the same thing.

Elementary forks, adds, and removes, while ubuntu patches and modifies.
More importantly, Ubuntu sometimes patches and modifies without changing
APIs and namespaces, so app developers sometimes expect one thing and
have another. That's the main issue.

If an app developer uses Mutter documentation to access Gala
and something goes wrong, that's his fault.

If an app developer uses Shell documentation to access Pantheon
and something goes wrong, that's his fault.

If an app developer has non-documented rendering differences
due to Ubuntu patches, despite doing exactly what the GTK
documentation tells him to, that's *not* his fault.