Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

Developers from elementaryOS should not be the main force
behind porting toolkits to display servers. This is either
the responsibility of toolkit developers or display server
developers. If anything, for the deeper technical knowledge
this depends on.

Reactions from the GNOME community indicate that they have
no intention of supporting Mir, so this leaves Canonical as
the only option. Historically, trusting Canonical with
something that is not their main focus for Ubuntu's future
results in "adequate but unpolished" at best, and "long
duration breakage" at worst.

Personally, I recommend establishing a strong communication
with upstream GNOME and preparing the field to report bugs
and needs involving Wayland. I also emphasize the need to
either move away from Ubuntu or be prepared to become the
GTK QA team that one can't really expect Ubuntu to be anymore.
Perhaps maintaining PPAs for the entire stack.