Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

I can confirm that from speaking to Canonical employees and attending UDS that the tone has been for a long time that they will eventually stop supporting Gtk+ in favor of Qt

At the current rate, 14.04 may be the last version of Ubuntu under which you can run Gtk+ apps unless the community wants to build Mir support for Gtk+.

Canonical is building a suite of default apps in Qt and all their third-party dev documentation is now focused on Qt. This is happening. Ubuntu is for Qt.

But like ConciousUser has stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. That is 100% their choice to make and in my opinion, having a dedication to a single toolkit is a great choice. That's why elementary also has a dedication to a single toolkit and if we built a new display server I can tell you right now we'd have no intention of making Qt run on it.

Best Regards,
Daniel Foré