Re: Mir Discussion with Jono

On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Manish Sinha <manishsinha@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Daniel Foré <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > At the current rate, 14.04 may be the last version of Ubuntu under which
> you can run Gtk+ apps unless the community wants to build Mir support for
> Gtk+.
>
> I don't think I understand this properly. You mean to say that after
> 14.04 Ubuntu cannot run GTK+ apps as they will go pure Mir and Mir
> won't have GTK+ support?
> Is this true? What about all the apps written in GTK+? What will they
> be replaced with?

I checked into this with the Mir team and the 14.04 plan is to run non-Qt
apps that don't have a Mir backend as rootless X apps, so all GTK apps will
continue to work. Currently Canonical is investing in building a Qt backend
and providing help and guidance for those who want to build Mir backends
for other toolkits. In fact, there is an active discussion underway on
mir-devel as we speak about a GTK Mir backend (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/mir-devel/2013-July/000275.html).

So in a nutshell, there will be no regressions at all with regards to GTK
apps in 14.04.

--
Jono Bacon
Ubuntu Community Manager