Re: Python API for panel applets?

Slingshot is not an actual indicator, it's just pretending.

Ubuntu have intentionally limited application indicators to menus only to
force some degree of consistency on them. In time it has backfired and now
Canonical have come up with a library that provides hacks to get arbitrary
widgets into their intentionally constrained menus.

The better idea would be to write a system indicator as opposed to
application indicator. You'd be able to use any GTK widget there. I'm not
sure what kind of embedding is used there, I haven't seen any docs on them,
but I suspect you'll need Vala or C for that, and we strongly prefer Vala.

However, it might be better to check your vision with the design team
first. We're moving away from non-system-wide indicators. Also, we need
some system indicators customized (
http://elementaryos.deviantart.com/gallery/37412343), getting that done
would be stellar.