Re: Python API for panel applets?

As for the network indicator: indicator-network might be a good
start to look at (https://launchpad.net/indicator-network [2]). They
managed to include toggle switches in the indicator implementation and
it looks much cleaner compared to the default network manager applet. It
does not use network-manager but connman instead (which is a network
manager tool backed by Intel: https://connman.net/ [3])

I'm not sure
whether it has ever been evaluated, but if indicator-network (and
connman) offer most of ElementarOS's needs, switching from
metwork-manager to connman might be an option for Luna+1?

Kind regards

Kurt

On 07.10.2013 11:44, Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff wrote:

Slingshot is not an actual indicator, it's just pretending.

> Ubuntu
have intentionally limited application indicators to menus only to force
some degree of consistency on them. In time it has backfired and now
Canonical have come up with a library that provides hacks to get
arbitrary widgets into their intentionally constrained menus.

> The
better idea would be to write a system indicator as opposed to
application indicator. You'd be able to use any GTK widget there. I'm
not sure what kind of embedding is used there, I haven't seen any docs
on them, but I suspect you'll need Vala or C for that, and we strongly
prefer Vala.

> However, it might be better to check your vision with
the design team first. We're moving away from non-system-wide
indicators. Also, we need some system indicators customized
(http://elementaryos.deviantart.com/gallery/37412343 [1]), getting that
done would be stellar.

> --
>
> Sergey "Shnatsel" Davidoff