Re: Wingpanel and Indicators, future?

Honestly it doesn't make sense to lock ourselves into upstart. SystemD is basically defacto at this point and I have a feeling we'll end up there.

As long as we're using menus, we're not going to be able to get really great indicator designs. We're going to need to use granite.popover (or I think there is a GTK implementation of something similar in the works?). Already in this cycle we're seeing that these indicator patches are something that are going to be a pain if/when we want to update our GTK version.

I think whatever we do has to:

1. Play nice with an unpatched GTK+

2. Be a container for any GTK widget such as grid, stack, range, etc

3. Be a plug-able system (the ability to add or remove indicators is a huge customization feature especially in a future where we may have OEM's)

4. Work on the greeter/lock screen

Some other considerations (that may or may not have implications on architecture) might be things like:

1. A way to request position on the panel such as left, center, right on the panel and more specifically left/right of specific indicators.

2. The ability to respond to key presses such as showing the sound indicator when volume keys are pressed or showing Slingshot on super + space

3. For a smoother scrubbing effect we could have a single popover with a Gtk.Stack and a left/right slide animation. Indicators plugins would just add themselves as pages in the stack and the popover arrow would slide over when you switched "pages".

Cheers,

Daniel Foré
elementaryos.org