elementary-dev-community team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
Re: Anyone coming to FOSDEM 2014?
Very nice! I have been looking into firefox OS myself. I'd love to use a phone that has open source as its base.
I looked into the blackphone, but unfortunately they seem to be more of the same - their recent update to the FAQ on their website actually makes me completely forget about them now.
"Blackphone is the world's first smartphone to put privacy and control ahead of everything else. Ahead of carriers. Ahead of advertising. Blackphone is re-shaping the landscape of personal communications."
- They haven’t created their own baseband processor for the first Blackphone
- Their "privacy-oriented tools" only work over wifi
- They will release "as much" of Blackphone code as possible into the open source community. Meaning some of it will be proprietary!!!! This is a scam!
- Their "open source" OS (except for the parts they won't open source) is derived from Android - google is in bed with NSA, we all know that.
- Google continues to shy away from open source in android
- They are a centralized corporation. They can be easily gagged and thus no one can be 100% sure what is really happening at their organization.
- Full 100% open source and peer-reviewed is the only way to go these days for those who care about their security and privacy.
On 4 February 2014, at 23:40 , Sergey Shnatsel Davidoff wrote:
> Oh, I also got to toy with ZTE OPEN running Firefox OS. That thing is impressive for its specs. Can't wait till Firefox OS hits the local market, Android monopoly on low-end smartphones where it performs even worse than usual is upsetting.
> Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~elementary-dev-community
> Post to : elementary-dev-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~elementary-dev-community
> More help : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp