enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Some context to why this group has started...

Greetings all,

As one of the people pushing for this discussion at both of the last two UDSs, I thought it might be a good idea to offer my reasons for having a discussion.

I work for a very large company. That company, like most large companies (and many smaller ones) has invested very heavily in Microsoft infrastructure of various flavors (Exchange, Active Directory, Sharepoint, Windows on the desktop, and so on). Whether I like that or not is in fact entirely irrelevant to the task at hand. That task is to make using Ubuntu in that environment as easy and pleasant as possible for users who choose to use Ubuntu. While many things "just work", there are plenty of areas where it's not as easy as it should be.

Of course, one could say that this is "giving in", and there's a part of me that certainly agrees with that. However, when working for change inside any organization, whether large or not, telling people they're wrong and that we have to do everything differently certainly doesn't work. My strategy is instead to make the client an attractive alternative to using something else. If we can do that by fixing things that just don't work or are painful, we've done a very Good Thing.

I think there are multiple threads that might be useful to discuss:

- What pain points are there to using an Ubuntu client inside a Microsoft-dominated corporate environment?
- What is painful in an environment that _isn't_ Microsoft-dominated?
- What solutions to these issues have people come up with and can we get them documented? - What alternatives are there for various bits of IT infrastructure (calendaring, mail, document management, collaboration tools, storage, etc.)?
- etc.

The word "boring" has been used to describe what we want to accomplish. I personally don't find it a bit boring. Making Ubuntu a viable alternative inside the largest companies in the world is anything but boring, and I firmly believe that without making Ubuntu play nicely in environments that aren't particularly friendly is absolutely critical for that to happen. Just my opinion, though :-)

Cheers,

David

Follow ups