enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Re: Sketch

Hello, Atul,

I wanted to really understand is LibreOffice still not a suitable alternative to MS Office?

Why? Of course LibreOffice is a suitable alternative to MS Office. I am using it everyday and it works very well.

When you consider using it in the enterprise you face a number of concerns though: 1. What happens to MS Office on other machines? There is LibreOffice for Windows, so you can change all machines to use LibreOffice. There are companies that used Open/LibreOffice from the start, they have no problems then. Those that did not - have a number of MS Office documents that may not look the same in LibreOffice. 2. What happens when the document is edited interchangeably in MS Office and LibreOffice? Problems with conversion will happen multiple times. 3. Whatever said, Microsoft Office competes with LibreOffice. Although it needs competition not to get regulated in the US due to its monopoly and it paid some of LibreOffice development (through Novell co-operation), still nobody will officially support document compatibility.

Is applications too much dependent on MS Office in our enterprise?

Aside from people being used to MS Office look&feel, we have a number of VB scripts for accounting, a Tieto template wizzard and I guess a number of other things that would need to be re-written for LibreOffice. We did not find internal competence for this, I know David Partain was more lucky in his company with LibreOffice templates.

With 2 Office tools I would recommend to use the original tool for editing the document and the other tool for read-only access. If you made a .doc or .xls file with MS Office, only allow people to *view* it in LibreOffice (as it works quite well). Most probably they will not even know that the file looked differently or contained some stuff in between.

I believe there is a number of LibreOffice specific extensions as well, a scripting language, some Java based extension, equation editor and drawing stuff. If you opened the file in MS Office (I believe there are converters *from* LibreOffice to MS Office as well), well, good luck. The person editing and saving the spreadsheet will not even know he has just removed most of the back-end scripts.

I would not like to be held responsible for a decision that broke a number of corporate documents. Nor support people with document-related problems. That is just out of my scope.

I also had some concerns with OpenOffice <-> LibreOffice compatibility as I heard documents looked differently there as well. I did not yet address those, though I know we should officially support Lucid and Precise here.

I believe we have someone from LibreOffice around, perhaps he can shed some more light on this? Most of my claims are not based on extensive tests, please do not feel offended.

Cheers,
Ballock