enterprise-ubuntu team mailing list archive

Enterprise documentation

Hello,

I'm working on my Linux images again. I'll update my
blog<http://davidmburke.com/>again with an updated How to join Ubuntu
to Active Directory or Samba. It
might make more sense to work on Ubuntu documentation itself. How does one
get started with this?

The state is community documentation is lacking. For example
winbind<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryWinbindHowto>really
used to scare me. I realize now it's not so bad. The documentation
seems incomplete.

A larger issue I see is a user looking to deploy client authentication may
not know what ldap, samba, kerberos, etc mean. The wiki mentions Likewise
open and centrify but doesn't give a good comparison. IMO I'm not at all
happy with likewise or centrify. They seem fine only in trivial situations,
perhaps with one user who needs a fast way to connect themselves to AD.
There is no broad overview. Something like - If you want file shares these
are your options. Here are some use cases of each.

Is this something that interests you? How could it be improved? I'd be
willing to help out. I'm not sure where to start.

Best,

David Burke

Follow ups