Re: FEniCS'06 post-mortem

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 04:28:13AM -0600, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On 11/17/06, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 11:26:50PM -0600, Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
> > > So people mentioned about the five minute attention span for building a
> > > system.  We did mention running a web service that might be able to
> > > help, such a feature is available through the Trilinos package but I
> > > haven't asked them how much it really is a bonus.
> >
> > This would be good to have. For example, people could input an FFC
> > form and get the generated code in return. This is ideal for a web
> > service since we have a simple model for what comes in and what comes
> > out. The problem would be that the FFC form is Python code, so the web
> > service would execute arbitrary Python code that someone enters into
> > the web form. So there are security issues.
>
> This is not the big problem here I think (Python has an rshell). Whenever you
> distribute code (generated or not) you implicitly rely on a sahred
> body of support
> code. This is exactly the problem with Java. Its relied heavily on the libraries
> rather than just the machine. I cannot yet see how we could generate something
> that was usable apart from the FEniCS framework, in which case the user was
> able to install, so why have a webform at all?
>
>    Matt

Good point. The code currently generated by FFC contains a large
number of #include <dolfin/...>. The next version of FFC will generate
UFC code that will not depend on anything other than the UFC
specification which is just one file (that could be thrown into the
generated code).

Still, the user would need to write the assembly-code so the support
code must be there anyway.

/Anders