Re: Viper

Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:
man, 23,.04.2007 kl. 15.19 +0200, skrev Anders Logg:
On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 02:25:13PM +0200, Garth N. Wells wrote:

Anders Logg wrote:
Two questions:

  1. Are there any objections to making Viper an official project?

In principle no, but ParaView III (which is under development)
and MayaVi 2 (which has a much improved user interface) both use VTK and have a Python interface, so I wonder if it would be better to use these existing packages.
Viper has a somewhat different focus. It is just a minimal plot()
command that can be used either for postprocessing or interactively
during a computation. At least before, the Python bindings for MayaVi
have been difficult to use and you always get the GUI (not just the
plot).

I agree with Anders. With Viper you get your plot up in less than one second, whereas with MayaVi and ParaView you need to wait for the huge libraries to be
loaded, then  click several buttons etc. in the GUI. I know MayaVi is
scriptable, but  I don't think it is as convenient as Viper. I use Viper
during debugging and development, and MayaVi or ParaView when I need
more advanced features.

Fine with me to add it. Just throwing up some food for thought.

Garth

Kent

  2. Has anyone tried it out?

Yes, a while ago. I found it a bit hard to use as I didn't know the key bindings. Some documentation on this would be nice.
I'm sure that can be arranged. Ola?

/Anders

For more information about Viper, take a look here:

    http://www.fenics.org/wiki/Viper

To try it out just

    hg clone http://www.fenics.org/dev/viper
    cd viper
    sudo python setup.py install

Then you should be able to run the Poisson demo in DOLFIN and plot the
solution with "python plot.py" which just loads the function and
calls the plot() command in PyDOLFIN (wrapped from Viper).

/Anders