Re: Viper

Garth N. Wells skrev den 24/04-2007 følgende:

> Kent-Andre Mardal wrote:
> > man, 23,.04.2007 kl. 15.19 +0200, skrev Anders Logg:

> >> Viper has a somewhat different focus. It is just a minimal plot()
> >> command that can be used either for postprocessing or interactively
> >> during a computation. At least before, the Python bindings for MayaVi
> >> have been difficult to use and you always get the GUI (not just the
> >> plot).
> >
> > I agree with Anders.
> >
> > With Viper you get your plot up in less than one second, whereas
> > with MayaVi and ParaView you need to wait for the huge libraries to be
> > loaded, then  click several buttons etc. in the GUI. I know MayaVi is
> > scriptable, but  I don't think it is as convenient as Viper. I use Viper
> > during debugging and development, and MayaVi or ParaView when I need
> > more advanced features.
> >

> Fine with me to add it. Just throwing up some food for thought.
>
> Garth

I completely agree with Garth in the sence that viper is not, and should not
be viewed as, a complete visualization system. However, for simple stuff, viper
is a kind of application that can provide the researcher valuable knowledge as
fast and simple as possible. I am working on the manual now, so perhaps viper
can be more usable for the average fenics developer in the future.

Ola