Re: New proposed project: FEniCS Apps

Andy Ray Terrel wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Johan Hoffman <jhoffman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 09:11:02AM +0200, Johan Hoffman wrote:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:46:11PM +0200, Johan Jansson wrote:
Anders Logg wrote:
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 11:14:50PM +0200, Johan Hoffman wrote:

Yes, this is natural. I am all in favour of including Unicorn
among
the
fenics-apps, as you describe.

The only difference would then be that the repository for Unicorn
is
under

  fenics.org/hg/unicorn

instead of

  fenics.org/apps/unicorn

But at the same time, I also think it is
important to keep Unicorn as a FEniCS project in itself, since it
is
the
only project aiming at realizing the FEniCS vision in the
direction
of
mathematical modeling (turbulent/laminar
compressible/incompressible
flow,
fsi, etc. as one solver).

/Johan

I don't agree. I also want to do all those things, but as part of
DOLFIN.

Hi!

I'm very positive about FEniCS Apps, and I think that Unicorn should
be
included as well.
Good. Note that being part of FEniCS Apps is not the same thing as not
being a project. Everything inq FEniCS Apps is a project. The point as
I see it is to collect application-oriented projects (applications)
and put up an infrastructure that allows us to add new projects at
high speed with minimal resistance. If Unicorn is placed under FEniCS
Apps, it would still be a project, still have a web page, still have
its own repository etc, just like DOLFIN-grade2 and FEniCS Plasticity.
Good. But then I think that essentially we are all on the same page.
Finally. So do you want to move Unicorn into FEniCS Apps? The change
would be to

 (i)   Move the repository from /hg to /apps (I just need to change one
symlink)
 (ii)  List it on the FEniCS Apps web page
 (iii) Edit the front page

My suggestion would be to edit the front page to list first "core
components" and then FEniCS Apps (or the other way around).

Does this sound good?

This sounds good, to me.

/Johan

Sounds like everyone wants UNICORN to be part of FEniCS Apps.  I'll
put the pointers for it up on the wiki and rearrange the mercurial
repositories as previously mentioned.  It's good to have another
project on board (even if it is just moving a project around).

Very nice. Having Unicorn on-board strengthens fenics-apps.

Garth

-- Andy