Re: Release deadline

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:27:07AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:

> Anders Logg wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:18:19AM +0100, Anders Logg wrote:
> >> Here's an update on the status for getting packages ready for
> >> inclusion in the next Ubuntu LTS release.
> >>
> >> 1. Johannes needs all releases to be ready by Monday. That will give
> >> him a couple of days to prepare the packages.
> >>
> >> Which releases do we want to make? There have been JIT compiler fixes
> >> in FFC and UFL that would be good to get in, and also updates in
> >> DOLFIN.
> >
> > As far as I can see, we are ready to make the following releases:
> >
> >   UFL    0.5.2
> >   FErari 0.2.0
> >   FFC    0.9.1
> >
> > I can just push the button on these if no one has anything to add.
> >
> > The following remains:
> >
> >   Instant 0.9.8: Why is the buildbot failing?
> >   DOLFIN  0.9.7: SCOTCH problems
> >

> DOLFIN should be straightened out today. There are no problems per se,
> just the efficiency needs to be improved. I've done this for one
> function, and just now need to do it for another.

Everything except DOLFIN should be ready for release now. It's
currently failing on the buildbot with

  In file included from dolfin/fem/DofMap.cpp:24:
  dolfin/fem/DofMapBuilder.h:13:35: error: boost/unordered_set.hpp: No
  such file or directory
  In file included from dolfin/fem/DofMap.cpp:24:

> I've found some erratic behaviour with SCOTCH and ParMETIS with larger
> numbers of partitions. Sometimes partitioning works, sometimes it hangs.
> Can anyone run the elasticity cpp demo with 5 processes?

I haven't installed SCOTCH yet, so it fails for me. Is SCOTCH now
default? Does it work with the regular SCOTCH in Debian? How does it
compare to ParMETIS? (Speed, memory usage.) I remember the first time
we tried SCOTCH that it was very intensive on memory usage.

When I change to ParMETIS, assembling works (but is slow) and then
UMFPACK reports a singular matrix.