Re: Release deadline

Anders Logg wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:27:07AM +0000, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>
>> Anders Logg wrote:

>>> As far as I can see, we are ready to make the following releases:
>>>
>>>   UFL    0.5.2
>>>   FErari 0.2.0
>>>   FFC    0.9.1
>>>
>>> I can just push the button on these if no one has anything to add.
>>>
>>> The following remains:
>>>
>>>   Instant 0.9.8: Why is the buildbot failing?
>>>   DOLFIN  0.9.7: SCOTCH problems
>>>
>> DOLFIN should be straightened out today. There are no problems per se,
>> just the efficiency needs to be improved. I've done this for one
>> function, and just now need to do it for another.
>
> Everything except DOLFIN should be ready for release now. It's
> currently failing on the buildbot with
>
>   In file included from dolfin/fem/DofMap.cpp:24:
>   dolfin/fem/DofMapBuilder.h:13:35: error: boost/unordered_set.hpp: No
>   such file or directory
>   In file included from dolfin/fem/DofMap.cpp:24:

Where is Boost installed on the buildbot?

>> I've found some erratic behaviour with SCOTCH and ParMETIS with larger
>> numbers of partitions. Sometimes partitioning works, sometimes it hangs.
>> Can anyone run the elasticity cpp demo with 5 processes?
>
> I haven't installed SCOTCH yet, so it fails for me. Is SCOTCH now
> default? Does it work with the regular SCOTCH in Debian?

Yes, but that it's easily changed (just a parameter).

> How does it
> compare to ParMETIS? (Speed, memory usage.) I remember the first time
> we tried SCOTCH that it was very intensive on memory usage.

That was in serial, right?

>From having run demos, speed seems comparable to ParMETIS. I haven't
checked memory use. What I hope that SCOTCH can partition meshes on
which ParMETIS fails since there is much greater scope for tuning
SCOTCH. Also, for the demos that I ran, SCOTCH produced better partitions.

The parts of the code which I added to build the mesh dual graph can
probably be reused to compute element neighbours across process
boundaries which we need for interior facet integrals.

> When I change to ParMETIS, assembling works (but is slow) and then
> UMFPACK reports a singular matrix.

We need more people running in parallel to track performance!

Garth