Re: Development model

On 31 October 2011 07:26, Johan Hake <johan.hake@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sunday October 30 2011 22:23:42 Ridgway Scott wrote:
>> Maybe we should talk about Andy's comments at the FEniCS meeting
>> this week in Lubbock.
>
> That would be great. But unfortunately not all of us will be there, me
> included.

Me neither, but the feedback will be welcome, so please send us a summary :)

> I would also appreciate a bit more details about the nature and content of
> such claims. Obviously it is not very tempting to stand out and raise such
> claims directly on a list, but it is difficult to do anything about it if that
> is not done.

It would be interesting to know if their problems are basically the
same issues we know about and try to address, or something that we do
not see from the "inside".

I think we are in general agreement on the main cooperative challenges:
- The interface has been changing too much too often, this will
hopefully stabilize now, and we will support 1.0 and fix its bugs for
a while.
- With the new development plan we try to make the release process less chaotic.

As for wanting users, the rapid interface changes may have been a
problem, but otherwise I think:
- Our response time on questions is low, but we do require that the
questions make sense.
- We accept patches regularly, but do require that they are in a good state.
- With the fenics book we have tried hard to make the software well documented.

Martin