Re: Web server

On 30/06/12 11:25, Anders Logg wrote:

> Yes, you can set the CNAME record to map to any domain. I'm doing
> that for a project and it works flawlessly. It does not support
> https though.
>
>> ok.

> When is "next time"? How long is the contract for the server?
>
>> I don't know. Next time we set up a new domain, the server goes
>> down, we're not happy with the service etc...

> Which parts of the site are dynamic?
>
>> There's a javascript for the slideshow and we run some cronjobs
>> to generate stuff, rebuild documentation, fetch news + it's
>> practical to have a server at our disposal when we need it.

JavaScript is not an issue (unless you want it to run server-side -
not the case for a slide show). Cron jobs are not possible, they would
need to run on some other machine before deployment to github pages
(which is easily scriptable). No doubt it's useful to have a dedicated
server.

Anyway, as I said I'm happy to assist if you ever want to revisit the
issue.

Florian

http://www.henrikcarlsson.se/2010/07/12/nytt-webbhotell-ny-doman/

They recommend Binero instead, which I've also seen get good scores in

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Finternetworld.idg.se%2F2.1006%2F1.309237%2Fsveriges-basta-webbhotell---fjolarets-favorit-slar-till-igen

(and many good reviews).