Re: UFR - The Unified Fenics Repository

I'm a bit late to this discussion, apologies if I've missed any
further development off-list since. Still I wanted to comment on a few
of the suggestions from my experience:

It would be great to be able to have the best of both worlds i.e.
concerted versioning and releases for all core FEniCS components,
while at the same time being able to get and contribute to components
in isolation.

The last point I think hasn't come up in the discussion yet. I think
the UFR would (further) raise the barrier to entry for external FEniCS
contributors, since they would be faced with a huge codebase they will
have to learn to navigate first. Imagine you're not a FEM person, but
find instant useful for your work and want to contribute. How much
effect this might have is pure speculation and it may be a sacrifice
worth making to make the lives of the core contributors easier.

Back to composing of repositories with matching versions: Git supports
this by virtue of submodules or subtrees as already mentioned.
Unfortunately bzr doesn't have any comparable feature. There is bzr
externals [5] which mimics svn externals, but is far from mature.

I wouldn't wait for nested trees support to land in bzr. There was
virtually no progress on this feature since 2009 [6] other than an
update of the spec [7].

On 11/02/13 03:25, Myles English wrote:

> Hi Anders,
>
> Anders Logg writes:
>
>> Thanks for the pointers. This would solve one part of the problem
>> - having to commit in separate repositories and branching each
>> one when working on features that cut across projects.
>
> One tool that appears to be popular for working in git and pushing
> to bazaar is [1].

Note that using git-bzr-ng is a one-way operation, not a two-way
bridge, since it uses bzr-fast{ex,im}port. `bzr server --git` might
become a 2-way bridge, once [8] is resolved, which is unlikely to happen.

>> However, it doesn't solve the overhead of making releases of 6
>> different packages and clicking the buttons in Launchpad, making
>> tarballs, release notes etc for each one.
>
> I don't really have an opinion on unification, but perhaps some
> scripts using the Launchpad API[2] could solve the button clicking
> problem?  I had a quick look and there are various scripts
> available, e.g. [3] appears to upload release tarballs.
>
> Other things people have done is move the code to github and use lp
> for the packaging [4].

Note that importing Git repositories containing submodules is
currently not supported due to a bug [9].

Florian

[5] https://launchpad.net/bzr-externals
[6] http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/NestedTreeProgress
[7] http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/developers/nested-trees.html