Re: UFR - The Unified Fenics Repository

On 27/02/13 21:46, Anders Logg wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:13:17PM +0100, Johan Hake wrote:
>> On 02/27/2013 09:54 PM, Garth N. Wells wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, 26 February 2013, Anders Logg wrote:

>>> at least

>>> workable

>>> steps could
>>>
>>> Sounds like a good start. Any objections to this?
>>>
>>> No.
>>>
>>> Does this need we need to use CMake for FFC?
>>>
>>> I do like the simplicity of the Python install for FFC over
>>> CMake.
>>
>> If we are going to keep each project in different sub directories
>> we can keep distutils for ffc.
>>
>> ffc/ ffc/ setup.py ... ufc/ CMakeList.txt ...
>
> Sounds like a simple solution, but we also need a top level
> installation method. Should that be CMake or distutils?

Why not support both (as PETSc does)? A top level CMakeLists.txt
descends in both the ffc subdirectory (calling distutils as e.g.
described in this blog post:
http://bloerg.net/2012/11/10/cmake-and-distutils.html) and ufc
subdirectory.

I think it's really important that FEniCS components are also
distutils/pip-installable so you can require them as dependencies in
other Python packages. That's what we would need for PyOP2, but it
currently falls over because UFC has no distutils installation path.

Florian