Re: Cleanup of repositories

On 26/03/13 11:20, Roland Siegbert wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Therefore, we will give everyone a chance to merge things that
>> can be merged now, then do the conversion and file stripping, and
>> after that the old branches on Launchpad must all be abandonded
>> and opened again on Bitbucket as fresh new clones.
> I don't know, if it was discussed already. But, it is possible to
> "attach" existing (independent) branches to a previous
> history/ancestor:
>
> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GraftPoint
>
> However, I did that just once and had direct access to a local
> gitolite server. Florian, do you have an opinion on this or
> another idea? I remember there floating around 70+ branches.

I have to admit grafts is one of the git features I've shied away from
so far, so please correct me if I get this wrong: In my understanding
grafts were created to allow you to "prepend" history to an
"artifical" root commit creating by squashing the entire history up to
that point.

In other words, you instruct git to *replace* this artificial root
commit by the tip of the history you're grafting. So *you are
promising these snapshots are identical* and if they're not, anything
can happen.

However, I don't think that's what we planned on doing: we want to
import and keep the entire history (minus stripping out some files).
In principle we could, instead of filtering out the files by rewriting
the entire history, remove the files we don't want to keep and create
a new squashed root commit and start from there and use grafts (or
better the new replace mechanism) to access history if needed. But I
would really rather avoid that.

Using grafts for importing feature branches is not generally safe I
think (all safeguards disabled) and imho harder to handle than doing a
"proper" rebase. Also I don't quite see how it would help us with the
bzr -> git import, unless I'm missing something?

Florian