Re: Cleanup of repositories

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Florian Rathgeber
<florian.rathgeber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 26/03/13 11:20, Roland Siegbert wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Anders Logg <logg@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> after that the old branches on Launchpad must all be abandonded
>>> and opened again on Bitbucket as fresh new clones.
>> I don't know, if it was discussed already. But, it is possible to
>> "attach" existing (independent) branches to a previous
>> history/ancestor:
>>
>> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GraftPoint
>>
>> However, I did that just once and had direct access to a local
>> gitolite server. Florian, do you have an opinion on this or
>> another idea? I remember there floating around 70+ branches.
>
> I have to admit grafts is one of the git features I've shied away from
> so far, so please correct me if I get this wrong: In my understanding
> grafts were created to allow you to "prepend" history to an
> "artifical" root commit creating by squashing the entire history up to
> that point.
Basically one grafts a branch to an existing tree (history/master).
Like in gardening. git replace sounds more reasonable though and less
hacky, I admit.

> "proper" rebase. Also I don't quite see how it would help us with the
> bzr -> git import, unless I'm missing something?
It's more likely, that I miss something, as I don't have the time to
follow all threads currently.

However, as far as I understand: There exist problems converting all
the bzr branches. So instead of merging all of them into
trunk(master), which appears quite risky to me, I basically suggested
to graft/replace them later to some earlier old commit with a minimal
lines-of-code-delta in master(trunk) in git on bitbucket if the
conversion can't handle branches - but I am not a bzr expert. I did
that because a side-project was created in a 23y old codebase simply
by copying the codebase 8 years ago and using a seperate version
control system. Last year it was then grafted to the old codebase -
meanwhile being in git - by attaching the branch to a point somewhere
at the age of 15y of the old codebase.

Best,

Roland