Re: [DOLFIN-dev] Plans for release

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:14:41AM +0100, Johan Jansson wrote:
> Anders Logg wrote:

> >> It seems that the Unicorn release we are preparing for is not dependent on
> >> any of the points above, so maybe we can do a special release right now
> >> without these improvements? (It could be a DOLFIN 0.7.1-1 etc. or
> >> similar?)
> >>
> >> Then there could be a more substantial next release (e.g. DOLFIN 0.7.2)
> >> with the points listed fixed.
> >>
> >> /JH
> >>

> > There are quite a few new features that have been added since 0.7.1 so
> > 0.7.1-1 is not suitable (it's not a bugfix release). And before making
> > a new release, it would be good to finish all the things that are only
> > half-working.
> >
> > Maybe you can take a snapshot of the current hg if it works for you
> > and put the tarball on the unicorn page, something like
> > dolfin-unicorn-x.y.z.tar.gz?
> >

> Ok, I understand. I think the best idea is to do both, i.e. first make a
> release of the current state of FFC/DOLFIN/Unicorn (with some naming
> scheme), and then in a few weeks make a point release with the standard
> quality assurance.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to have quite frequent releases (even if
> they haven't been fully quality tested). How about introducing something
> like an "incremental" release naming scheme (or "milestone", or perhaps
> there are better name ideas). We could have releases named:
>
> dolfin-incremental-<date>.tar.gz
>
> and put them in an "incremental" directory.
>
> This would implement the "release early, release often" principle that
> can sometimes drive productivity in open projects. Thus when someone
> wants a release of all or some FEniCS components, she can just do some
> limited testing, follow the standard release procedure, and make an
> incremental release.
>
> To have a "dolfin-unicorn" release name implies that extra
> unicorn-specific changes have been made to DOLFIN, which is not the
> case. It's just supposed to be a release, but like we're discussing,
> with less quality assurance than a point release.
>
> What do you think?
>
>   Johan

Release early and often is a good thing. There just hasn't been much
pressure to get a release out for a while (probably since most
users/developers use the hg version anyway).

Depending on what state the code is in when someone asks for a
release, it may take from just a day to a couple of weeks to get a
release ready. So if you just ask for a release earlier (like a couple
of weeks before you need it), then it shouldn't be a problem.

The dolfin-incremental thing looks like it complicates things. An
alternative would be to make automatic daily snapshots so you can
depend on dolfin-2008-01-16 for example.

On a related note, can we remove dolfin-stable and
dolfin-testing? They haven't been updated for 6 months.

--
Anders