Re: [DOLFIN-dev] Plans for release

Anders Logg wrote:

Release early and often is a good thing. There just hasn't been much
pressure to get a release out for a while (probably since most
users/developers use the hg version anyway).

Do open projects which use DOLFIN make releases which rely on the hg version? Could someone from such a project comment on what they do? What does Simula do when they make a release of open software which relies on DOLFIN?
Depending on what state the code is in when someone asks for a
release, it may take from just a day to a couple of weeks to get a
release ready. So if you just ask for a release earlier (like a couple
of weeks before you need it), then it shouldn't be a problem.

The dolfin-incremental thing looks like it complicates things. An
alternative would be to make automatic daily snapshots so you can
depend on dolfin-2008-01-16 for example.
I don't think it's practical to depend on automatic snapshots, you would have to time your commands to some daily or hourly script, it seems a bit cumbersome. But sure, why not build on the snapshot system. When you want a persistent snapshot release, you run the snapshot script with a date tag. Or?
On a related note, can we remove dolfin-stable and
dolfin-testing? They haven't been updated for 6 months
I think we should have a working system in place before we remove old systems. But they can be removed if we have a usable alternative.

 Johan