folding-at-home team mailing list archive

Re: its been 3 months... how's it going?

One thing to remember is that duplicate usernames are allowed with Folding@Home. [ http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-passkey ] So if you happen to choose a username that somebody on the same team is using, as swoody says, you will have your points combined. Without a passkey, there is no unique identifier. Also, a passkey is required to receive bonus point awarded due to the amount of time it takes to complete a work unit. AFAIK that's only if you use client 6.29 and get Core A3 WUs. (I haven't been on foldingforum.org much lately--yes, things have quieted down.) If you don't care about getting your own points, use anonymous. I wouldn't complain if you used my user name either. But I won't give out my passkey.

Some teams have contests periodically and award some nice prizes. Passkeys are absolutely required for those contests. Rules may vary by team. AFAIK, there has been no contests beyond the context of a single team. Teams sponsored by hardware manufacurers or overclocking forum teams sponsored by hardware manufacturers give the best prizes. EVGA had a contest a few months ago that ranged from redeemable gift certificates for their products all the way up to a new high-end gaming system.

If we ever have a contest, when you win you get to download your very own free copy of the latest version of Ubuntu. ;)

djc

PS You already won!