Re: Additional packages

On 13 June 2014 01:18, Andrew Woodward <xarses@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think this raises some feature gaps we have.
> 1) We need to provide the packages with the repos on the ISO.
> 2) We should add a field for "install additional packages" in cluster
> settings (maybe instead just do #3, but it would be awesome to have
> both)
> 3) We should add a post provision and post deployment scripts (kinda
> cloud init style) so that users can customize their nodes more
> efficiently.
>

> > On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Andrey Danin <adanin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I don't think it's a good idea to manipulate with our base repos on a
> >> Master node. Let's develop a standard way to create supplemental
> >> repositories and provide them to target nodes. For instance, there
> should be
> >> MCollective/Astute calls to list/create/update additional DEB/RPM repos
> on a
> >> Master node and add/remove them on Target nodes. In this case we will be
> >> able to easily plug in such features as VMWare NSX which requires
> >> proprietary packages be obtained and installed on the fly.

I think that Andrey's idea and Andrew's #2 idea are exactly what's needed.
The ability to add additional online/custom repositories to a cluster would
enable a lot of additional customisation for users. This may be simple
content packages (like a custom image and css for horizon), more complex
packages (like some additional horizon dashboard plugins), or custom
packages which can be used instead of the patch-on-every-node method
described by the Fuel Operations Docs.