Re: Suggestion on hints for "Networks" tab

Sergii and Vitaly,

Thanks for pointing out the blueprint. The concept looks interesting - will
be great to see it implemented.

But I would also offer you guys to use me and a bunch of other "external to
Fuel" pairs of eyes as "guinea pigs" for UX testing.

Why? IMO, the purpose of Web UI is to serve not so much a highly-skilled
Mirantis engineer, but rather a low-to-medium-skilled Fuel downloader. And
this downloader's primary goal is to get a working OpenStack cloud,
hopefully - from first few attempts of "Deploy changes" -> "Delete
environment" sequence :).

*This brings me to 2 thoughts:*

1) Flexibility of configuration options on Web UI should not be excessive
and overwhelming.

While backend+CLI+documentation may support lots of super-flexible and
highly customized scenarios - the Web UI should not have user spending too
much time on figuring out all the endless powers that are out there (again
- thinking about Web UI user's goals).

2) Web UI should rather present user with clear "silverlining" of making
some choices (from a pre-defined "safe" list) and getting to a working cloud

*Now, how this maps to previous discussion:*

- I see a problem In the way how Networks and Wizard UIs are implemented
right now (in 5.0)

User has an opportunity to quickly add the nodes right after
"Next-Next-Next" in Wizard, hit Deploy changes - and get a cloud w/ wrong
(default) IP addresses and VLAN id's applied. He/she will simply skip doing
any work on Networks tab unless he/she knows upfront it's needed. UI won't
keep the user from making such mistake

- In order to address this I currently see 2 options for discussion:

A) Add an additional tab on Wizard sequence that will prompt user to
specify Network settings - ranges for each network, VLAN ID's, etc. All the
hints about what network does what (that I've suggested on a screenshot)
should be shown there

B) "Workaround" solution - after user presses "Finish" button in Wizard -
show a message like "Now, please enter networking settings for your cloud"
and switch the screen to Networks (instead of Nodes).

Probably this will map to a new Fuel networking setup concepts as well.
What do you think?

---
Regards,
Dmitriy