Re: Future

On Dec 19 2012, Edward Hennessy wrote:

I would like to see a version of the tools where the symbol format supports
any number of similar and dissimilar symbols in the same IC. Such that any
program assigning reference designators can do the operation correctly.

A more lofty goal, when symbols can share a pin. For example, two diodes
sharing a pin in a SOT-23. If the program assigning reference designators
can discover the shared pin(s) and assign the refdes accordingly.

That sounds like a very auto-magic behaviour to me.. and not one I'd be immediately keen on myself... 3-Pin diode arrays should have a 3-pin, 2xdiode symbol IMO.

Doing otherwise without extensive DRC checking really invites "WTF" style mistakes in your design I think.

Peter