Re: PLEASE STOP !!! - Re: [geda-user] Apollon

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Vladimir Zhbanov <vzhbanov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:33:54PM +0200, Roland Lutz wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Sep 2015, Vladimir Zhbanov (vzhbanov@xxxxxxxxx) [via geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>> >xorn was added into master without asking current developers
>>
>> I did ask [0], and I waited a fair time for feedback before pushing things
>> further.  Since the situation appeared to have come to a standstill as with
>> so many proposed changes, I decided to move forward and merge the changes
>> into master.
> OK.
> 1. You haven't actually ask. You've stated
> This introduces new dependencies on Python 2.7 and a C++ compiler.  For
> this reason, I didn't push it directly into master but into a new branch
> 'home/rlutz/xorn-integration'.  You can merge it into master if the new
> dependencies are ok.
> And the next message on 16.09 was just:
> Since there haven't been any objections, I pushed it into master.
> 2. There was no separate topic about it. Since I have not enough time to
> get all flood in the geda-user list, I could not read this at the
> moment.
> 3. You appear to think developers are dead so you neither used the
> developer list (OK, you had not been subscribed on it yet), nor
> interested if there are any developers, nor filed a bug report on
> Launchpad.
>

>> >despite of the objections
>>
>> Which objections do you refer to?  You wrote[1]:
>
> Here [3] I wrote
>> Even John Dotty seemed to agree that we need an alternative to scheme.

Ahem.. I said this in the talk about C plugins not in refrence to
python. You are confusing me with Roland. Check the link.
(I agree with Roland, I just want the citations to be correct)

> Yes, yes, I could even agree ;) But not two parallel versions with new
> dependencies in one repository. How to support them? How to support
> cross-compiling in this case? There is another way. Let's make bindings
> for various languages since gobject model allows this. Let's introduce
> plugins/modules, and we already have modules in scheme.

Find me a user of any reasonably current desktop that does not have
python. I dislike python and yet I still have it.

Besides he added the option to turn off xorn so python is an
*optional* dependency.

OT: Ok so then why was having plugins in C a bad thing? It added no
additional dependencies.

> Here [4]
>> If a particular problem can only be solved by changing some innards,
>> then so be it, but the innards change is just a side-effect.
>
> I don't mind. Just let's do it step by step, saving all the fruit we
> already have, not destroying anything in a favour of new tools.
>

>> >I'm emerging here as an opponent to you, Roland, John Doty, Kay-Martin and
>> >all others, who discourages users from trying to use new Scheme script
>> >possibilities Peter Brett have added to the project
>>
>> I'm definitively not discouraging people to use Scheme.  I'm also not trying
>> to replace Scheme with Python as you seem to assume
>> I'm not "working on the Python branch"; I'm trying to improve gEDA
>> inside-out by giving it a solid foundation.
>>       The easiest way to achieve this would be to write the library in C, so
>> it's easy to create bindings for any language.
> We already have the lib in C. Let's improve it step by step and add
> necessary bindings.
>> ... It's just that right
>> now, you seem to be the only person seriously opposed to merging xorn/ into
>> the main repository, and your point seems to be mainly that you prefer Guile
>> to Python.  Please, take the time to understand Python and Xorn, as I did
>> with Scheme and the Guile interface--it's really not as bad as you think,
>> and our ultimate goals aren't that different.
> Why should I? Tomorrow another user will say he/she prefers Lua and
> merge his/her library into the master branch without asking us. And what
> if someone decides to rewrite things in Haskel or bash 8-|

Vladimir this is why this thread went off in search of a new project
leadership structure.
You wanted a group of devs voting. Why don't you subject yourself to
your proposed process via a vote on the developers list.