getdeb-collaboration team mailing list archive

Re: Intrepid Ready

Peter van der Does wrote:
On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:46:36 +0100
João Luís Marques Pinto <joao.pinto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
as planned the 8.10 RC was released yesterday, the ABS is now setup
to build for Intrepid.

Does this mean we're not building for Hardy anymore even though Hardy
is a LTS release?

Peter,
most of us are switching to Intrepid.
Packaging and testing 2 releases represents a major effort increase.
I personally do not see any reason for a desktop user to keep with Hardy instead of upgrading to Intrepid.

I think we should concentrate on having 1 release properly supported (which is already hard) instead of having 2 with lower quality/less packages.

Please note that despite my personal idea about using LTS on the desktop, from a technical perspective I think we should keep building for LTS, the issue here is the lack of human resources.

If we get enough people willing to package for Hardy without compromise Intrepid's packaging, then it's a different story, we would just need to make sure that our release system tools will work fine with dual releases.

--
João Luís Marques Pinto
GetDeb Team Leader