getdeb-collaboration team mailing list archive

Re: Moving to an APT repository - Request For Comments

> - Install multi-package applications with a single click

Using apt-url tool, no?

> - Faulty packages will have a wider impact

Then it would be useful to have a second repository is similar to the
"proposed" of Ubuntu.

> - Installing a package forces a repositories info update (to ensure you
> will get the latest version installed)

Sorry, I don't understand that point.

The repository will not work like any other? I refer to with any repository
need to update the index for updates.

If I am not mistaken, Ubuntu does it automatically every few hours.

> - Reverting to a previous installed version is harder (requires an unusual
> force version command or Synaptic)

This problem exists with the current system

> Implementation
> The implementation will require some technical changes that will need to be
> implemented on the next 2 months:
> - Database model needs to be simplified (instead of listing files we only
> need to list package names and provide APT urls)
> - A server side mirror selection script must be implemented to redirect APT
> file requests to available/updated mirrors
> - A debian package must be provided to setup the repository, add custom APT
> config and install the GPG keyring

I suggest use winehq system to add a repository:

http://www.winehq.org/download/deb

The decision to change to a repository or keep with the current (.deb)
> system must be taken, as providing both methods is not an option (release
> management would be much harder, not enough human resources to handle it).

I agree with that